Security cameras have become a necessary way to keep your business safe and operating smoothly, but the technology behind your CCTV has not progressed much over the last decade. Cisco recognised this and has developed the Cisco Meraki MV Series to remove the administrative hassle that you face with your business CCTV, allowing you to view and administer video from anywhere, while not significantly impacting your normal network traffic. Like the rest of the Cisco Meraki lineup, the MV (Meraki Vision) Series have been designed to look good, be quick and easy to set up and work seamlessly with all other Meraki products through the incredibly intuitive Meraki dashboard.
As image resolution has increased, alongside the added requirement to monitor these image streams remotely, existing systems often saturate WAN links and Local LAN networks as the video feed has to be streamed to a central device. Additionally, as IP infrastructures have developed, it is common for remote access to be provided via a port forward directly to a CCTV server. This setup can result in poor user authentication policies, an absence of updates and a lack of monitoring of the server or cameras.
The Cisco Meraki MV Series introduces 128GB of industrial grade, high write endurance, solid state storage on each camera, giving you up to 20 days of continuous 24×7 footage at 720p. Their aim is to make traditional network video recorders (NVR) and standalone video management software (VMS) redundant, while also minimising your WAN data transmissions. They do this by elegantly providing:
- Secure, simple centralised cloud management.
- The ability to optimise your video retention, allowing you to only store video that is important to you.
- Introducing edge storage, where your video is stored on an inbuilt memory card in the camera, eliminating the need for a dedicated network and NVR.
- Ensuring that there is no single point of failure for your CCTV.
- Motion search, allowing you to dynamically and retroactively select areas of interest in a video stream, eliminating the need to stream hours or days of footage to identify key events.
- Easy ways to export the video footage that you need.
- Effective recordings at night with IR illumination, providing you with video up to 30m of coverage in dark environments.
- End-to-end encryption of your video by default, both at rest and in transit.
- Efficient and very granular access controls, allowing you to easily define who can see what and when.
- The ability to set Quality of Service (QoS) polices, as required.
- Regular updates, with software improvements and an enhanced feature set.
They offer both an elegant indoor option, as well as a robust outdoor option that is IP66 weather rated and IK10 impact rated to withstand any more demand environment that you may have.
If you already have a Cisco Meraki environment in place, you can easily manage your Cisco Meraki MV CCTV cameras alongside your Meraki WiFi, switches, network security, mobile management and communication solutions, saving you both time and effort, while keeping you in a very familiar environment.
Wanstor manage a very large estate of Cisco Meraki equipment and, as such, our network operations team were very keen to learn more about the new Cisco Meraki MV Series CCTV. We set a couple up in our office very quickly having ‘pre-configured’ them, as we would for any new install. We then ran them for a few days, testing all of the features and functionality to make sure they could deliver on all of their promises.
Here are a few of our images showing the motion search and heat map functionality, both of which were found to be particularly impressive.
Enjoy a single point of contact for all of your technology services, including CCTV. Contact us on 0333 123 0360 or contact us online to discover more.